<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 27, 2006

A person who does not believe something is true will never see the evidence of that something's existence. Believing is the first step in discovery even if the belief is only in the possibility. The person who rules out all possibility for God's existence will likely never see Him. However, belief is not discovery. What we believe only matters if it agrees with reality. What we call faith has no benefit in and of itself. It is the object of our faith that supplies the value.

I have confidence (faith) in my personal Doctor and went to see him today. He wrote a prescription which my pharmacist, a lady I have confidence in, filled. I am following my doctor's instructions and expect to get well. Now, what if I repeat this and substitude a terrorist who wants me dead for my doctor? Will my confidence be rewarded with a cure?

As a teenager I decided that God's existence was a real possibility. Not sure I remember what I did with that decision other than to be open to discussion on the subject. There were a few ideas that I did formulate about what God would be like if I encountered Him. Creative was one thought. No matter the process by which it has come to be, the universe is complex beyond what we can imagine. The mind which conceived it would also be off the scale in everyway.

My experience was that creative minds are restless and always tinkering with their creative works. Permit one anecdote. I once commissioned an artist friend to do a portait of Jeanette and me, but she would not admit is was completed to her satisfaction even though I loved it. True story, I had to tell her when it was done.

The idea that God would create and not stay involved at some level is inconsistent with what I have observed in creative people so I was open to suggestion that God does interact with the universe. This is not proof of anything, because God could have in fact started everything and then moved on to other matters. I am only telling you why I was open to the suggestion that God has interacted with the universe in history. Admitting the possibility is the first step to discovering if anything is there.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?