<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 28, 2006

The question is why should I/anyone choose to follow an objective based external moral code? Of course you can ask the same question about going with personal flexible judgements as your moral standard.

What I have decided for myself is to follow the objective standard I find in the Bible, specifically what we call the New Testament. One reason is I really do find my own instincts much too flexible to trust. Decisions carry consequences. Consequences that may bring harm and that makes it more than an academic exercise. Especially if the consequences may produce real harm.

Like the man on the beach, I lack complete information so my judgements are subject to change as rapidly as circumstances. That weakness is also found in objective based codes developed solely on human reason. We are left only with our best guess.

Now, I am not against taking risks. I love adventure. But, I also try to prepare for the probable risks I can assign to any activity. Going dumb into any situation is not my idea of a good time.

So, when it comes to moral values I want to look for something with a track record. Lacking that I want to look for some authority with clout to back up what is being sold. Your best guess is not good enough for me and mine should not be for you.

Where to look, that is the question! My choice is scripture and I have good reasons for it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?