<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 13, 2006

It appears that most contemporary thought on morality draws from the individual's perspective. Rather the preferences of the individual drive the moral engine of the mind. Therein lies the trap.
In the example I gave of the 3 men on the beach, the father was troubled by his behavior with the realization he was commenting on his daughter. No issue there, each is free to set his own moral standard. He crossed into the realm of objective morality when he imposed his view on his friends and judged them. After all, what works for them is to keep ogling his offspring.

Moral values make sense when anchored in an objective standard external to the individual and society. But even that has it limitations. Is it enough to establish standards? People are willing to live with an established moral code until it conflicts with their personal desires and happiness. When conflicts arise, values go out the window. If you just thought about imposing values by force you may have pulled back from the objective external standard.

Personal note here: I find my natural instincts are not trustworthy in the area of moral values.
I need the objective standard found in the Christian scripture. But, even that is not enough. I need the results of God's offer to write those truths in my heart. I find the need to walk in the Holy Spirit's shadow in order to avoid executing the lesser desires rolling around in my head.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?