<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I said I have good reasons for what I believe, but it may take more than one post to explain it. You see, I am dealing with memories that stretch over 5 decades and I have a bias towards Christianity. It was 38 years ago that I settled on Christ as my best option. So, I am going to try to reconstruct the process that brought me to this point.

I don't want to mislead either. I was not obsessed with with some grand spiritual quest, but I did consider "the meaning of it all" from time to time. My so called spiritual journey was a series of sudden starts and stops with long intervals of "who cares."

I remember it was easier to decide what I could not accept than to establish what I did believe. Personal opinion: Doubt is never profound and skepticism is not mentally challenging unless you are trying to defend it. Really, how much brain power does it take to say I don't believe something. If Dustin is correct ("there is sufficient reason to think that most humans are alike") then I would guess most skepticism is rooted in preference. I know that was true for me and at least one other. C.S. Lewis commented once that Christianity troubled him because unlike atheism there was no door marked exit. He preferred atheism because it promised him a way out if life's consequences became too much for him.

Anyway, that is where I will start. What were the world views I rejected and why.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?