<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Since I broke my rule on politics, I guess I can break my rule on personal matters as well.

Just two days from now I will have the privilege of officiating at my eldest son's wedding. He will cross the line from my family into his own. The scripture notes this as a cutting away or leaving the one to form the other. This is about the only real ceremony we have left in western society to mark the passage into manhood.

Unfortunately it has little to do with helping a boy become a man. I get to see the other side and find all too often that we have boys masquerading as men in their role as husband. Men keep their word, boys keep their toys. Men can be trusted, boys need to be watched. A man loves his wife without reservation or expectation of reciprocation. A man loves because he said he would. A boy loves his wife if.....

I have no desire to ever conduct a wedding between a boy and woman.

My son, the pledge you make to your wife this Saturday will forever be the measure of you as a man. I know who you are and know that you are up to the challenge of being the man God wants you to be. You know how to stand when everything tells you to flee. I have seen you face yourself as you are and seek to change what you see. Failure is not a stranger to you, nor is the desire to quit when you fall. But, I have never seen you submit to either.

I am honored that you and Kimberly will allow me to unite you in your new life together.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?